How to use the Tree-Nation API in a context of platform gamification around the tree-gifts
The following case study explains one potential use of the API including 3 levels of interactions: a SAAS platform, its corporate clients and the end-users of the SAAS.
Level 1 - The API user.
In this case study, the API user is a SAAS platform that wanted to include trees as a gamification mechanism within its platform. The SAAS platform connected to the Tree-Nation API in order to add the tree-gift reward system in its platform.
Level 2 - Corporate clients
The SAAS platform has various corporate clients having an account on its platform. The API lets those clients offer the trees under their brand to their end-users.
Level 3 - End-Users
Each of the corporate clients provides access to the SAAS to their employees/clients, who are the real users of the SAAS service. The end-users are the tree-gift recipients which are rewarded to them in the function of their actions in the SAAS platform.
To pay for the trees it was defined that:
- Tree-Nation would only be invoicing the API user, not its corporate clients. This allows to avoid additional approval processes from the corporate clients to integrate Tree-Nation as a new partner.
- The API user would use its own invoicing to charge back the price of the trees to the corporate clients, in this case with no commission.
- Each corporate client order is transformed into a certain amount of “tree credits”. Some simple packs are preconfigured: 500€, 1000€, 2000€.
- The API lets the API user generate new “tree credit” orders and link such orders to a corporate client. This automatically generates a new invoice (directed to the API user) but including a reference of the corporate client, the credits are ordered for. A Purchase Order can also be passed through the API and added to the invoice.
Let's see an example:
Corporate client A requests a pack of 1000€ tree credits. Then the SAAS Platform uses the API to add 1000€ tree credits to its account which at the same time generates an invoice directed to the SAAS platform for this amount that also indicates ‘Corporate client A’ as a purchase order reference.
Invoices are paid by bank transfer. The period to pay the invoices can be adjusted to fit the API user’s own invoicing of its corporate clients.
The main function of the API is to trigger/create a tree. When triggered, the API gives back a unique tree URL, which can be passed on to the end-user and serve as proof of planting and its own tree certificate.
Each tree-gift URL allows its recipient to collect the tree on Tree-Nation and have its own forest.
As part of the initial API configuration, it is decided if Tree-Nation sends its standard tree-gift email to the end-user or if this emailing task is taken care of by the API user. If Tree-Nation is tasked to send the emails, the recipient’s name and email can be passed through the API.
Each tree creation draws from the tree credits and will be limited to the availability of credits.
In this 3-levels configuration each tree is linked to 3 forests: the corporate client forest (seen as the one gifting the tree), the end-user forest (seen as the one receiving the tree) and the SAAS platform forest (seen as a sponsor).
- All the trees are thus visible in the SAAS platform forest.
- Each corporate client has as many trees as they order.
- And each end-user has all the trees he earns through the gamification mechanisms of the SAAS platform.
Corporate accounts setup
The API also lets the API user directly create forest profiles for its corporate clients. The API sends back a user ID for each corporate client that should be stored by the API user.
The API then lets the API user create a “tree template” per corporate client, which is defined as the species (or list of species) to be planted for this specific corporate client, the price per species and the personalized tree message.
Those 2 steps can also be handled manually or with the help of the Tree-Nation team.
The API also provides the API user with a series of content that can be directly included in the SAAS platform. This include:
- Detailed species information
- Project information
- Species planting availability (species “stock”)
- Tree and CO2 counters for any given forest (the SAAS platform forest, Corporate forest or End-user forest)
- Updates from the field (easy to read quick posts and longer articles, both with photographs).
Those updates can be requested in 3 different ways:
- All project updates
- All updates related to a single project
- All updates related to a single forest (the SAAS platform forest, Corporate forest or End-user forest)
We keep improving it
Our API is built to be the ultimate gamification tool. We will make sure that it fits your configuration requirements and plan to keep developing its functionalities in the function of our clients' feedback. So please do not hesitate to ask us for new features that would make sense for your business, we’ll try very hard to make it happen!
Need any assistance?
Please contact us at email@example.com